Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Nerdgasm

Am switching from Altmejd's The Holes (2009), to Altmejd's The Index (2007) for a paper.
Problem is, even though Altmejd represented Canada at Venice in 2007, there isn't all that much academic writing on his work. There is a bit, one article on crystallization by Remembering Postmodernism's Mark Cheetham but I am in search of more - a lot more and with different approaches. I guess it takes a few years before art historians really start to focus on contemporary stuff or maybe it's not that interesting.... My crisis at the moment is: do I switch to something else last minute? Am seriously considering Duchamps Etant Donnes (1969).
After all what's behind the peephole in the Philadelphia Museum of Art is the cover of one of my favorite books of all time. And the work is certainly old enough that there exists a vast amount of writing, annihilating the problem I was experiencing with Altmejd. Guess just cause someone represented Canada at Venice doesn't guarantee entry to the canon...yet.

Added later: Writing on Altmejd still. One week to go. Prof liked my proposal more than anything I'd delivered so far. Even later: After weeks of agony, the essay is done, edited, peer reviewed and handed in. now I don't know what to do with myself....gather and prepare I guess for next semester. Later: great -my prof hated the paper.

No comments: