Yep going to all three days of this, NB, TIFF & a special master class. Total Žižek overload but will get me points in Critical Theory class next semester.
The lecture on Nuit Blanche was supposed to be on Art, the next day the lecture was on Cinema, and the third day was on Philosophy. I was pretty much a zombie after NB, took about a week to recover, but couldn't pass up the chance to hear him talk.
We (me and Totally Spun) made it to City Hall but couldn't get in to hear Žižek on NB. It was fine, we listened to Žižek kind of in the rain through a garbage bag-covered speaker on the roof....was okay.
I did get a ticket to hear Žižek at TIFF for the 3rd lecture, no photos allowed so (podcast forthcoming):
The man spoke for 2 hours straight. I can summarize it as: Žižek hates Gangnam style, says the irony it claims to have merely promotes a comsumerist lifestyle as the supposedly redemptive irony is lost on the masses, this is exemplary of most mass cultural phenomena. And for progressives to stop idolizing Northern Europe as it produces psychopaths like Anders fucktard Breivik.
After I bought his latest book. Which am excited to read (bought my brother in law Living in the End Times last Xmas) but am having to write a paper on Rosalind Krauss. After I finish that, hopefully I'll reward myself by reading the Žižek book.
Totally Spun and I are training for the Zombie Race next weekend (me - taekwondo, Totally Spun - capoeira, and together running a few K every week or so if I don't bail b/c of rain like yesterday) Nothing like having zombies chase you as a motivator to speed up. Should be a blast!
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment